By Citizens Against Corruption Kenya (CACK) Religious Affairs Desk, Nairobi – March 14, 2021
The secret behind the financial giant Nairobi Catholic Archdiocese has become was revealed during the thanksgiving ceremony of His Eminence Cardinal John Njue on Saturday, March 13, 2021.
The Archdiocese Financial Administrator Father Simon Ng’ang’a revealed that Cardinal Njue helped create Ksh 2.8 billion investments base for the church in Nairobi since he took over the reins in 2007.The congregation at St Mary’s School Grounds was told that the annual Family Day event had brought in Ksh 1.37 billion in 11 years.
The church used the money to build the Cardinal Otunga Plaza in Nairobi CBD for Ksh 916 million.
- The catholic church was also able to build a clergy home for Ksh 419 million.
- “The most recent project accomplished is our underground parking that cost Ksh 959 million,” noted Father Ng’ang’a.
- “His Eminence Cardinal Njue also established the Caritas Microfinance Bank, which is owned by the Archdiocese of Nairobi. It has created an avenue of economically empowering institutions and people in the archdiocese,” he added.
Caritas Microfinance Bank has seen a direct capital injection of Ksh 310 million during Njue’s tenure.
- The financial administrator also said that the church had injected Ksh 81 million into Pacis Insurance Company.
- Other than a Ksh 208 million pension scheme for priests, Njue channelled at least Ksh 200 million into establishing Radio Maria.
- “The capital investments and the cash equivalents that have been invested by the Archdiocese of Nairobi during the time His Eminence add up to Ksh 2.8 billion,” Father Ng’ang’a concluded.
During Njue’s tenure, 15 new parishes were created in the Archdiocese and he ordained 74 priests.
Auxiliary Bishop David Kamau was appointed the apostolic administrator and took over from Njue on January 22, 2021.
It is said action speak louder than words. The Catholic Church is at the forefront fighting CORRUPTION in Kenya. Pope Francis holds the view that Corruption is addictive as drugs!